Thursday, November 7, 2013

A moment of encouragement




Yesterday we ran around all morning gathering a couple small gifts for a friend who just had a baby(she is just the loveliest thing I've held in about 5 months!)

We stopped for specialty cupcakes(because a girl needs some sugar after she births out a baby!)Owen and Henry played with the bells on the door... I was ok with it the two boys had been on their best behavior all morning and they were not trying to open candy jars at the shop! We left and hopped in a few puddles for good measure and then got back into the car.

That's when I noticed that Owen had one of the bells...I asked if he took it(it honestly struck me as something Henry probably did) Owen said it was not Henry but himself who had taken the bell and he was instantly remorseful... Then I explained that taking things that we don't pay for in a store is stealing... And that is very wrong... Against gods laws even...which he knew.


We would have to do the right thing and return the bell. He said he was too shy to do it. So I said I would go in as well. I told him to walk up and give it back explain he had taken it and ask forgiveness for stealing.

He did.

They of course were super kind and very compassionate! (So every one in Salem Oregon should visit Sugar Sugar! They make amazing deserts and they are kind to your kids when they make mistakes!)

Then I got to feel a moment of such encouragement. He actually followed through with something big with out a big dramatic show. With out a tantrum. With out me having to swoop in and take over. Years of practicing reconciliation with his family! And now out in the world he is able. I don't know if he will ever steal again. He felt awful.
Which is a big lesson for him...
But I know that he is becoming more of himself and less a part of me. He is so capable. I was so proud. I am always base line proud...but this was different I was amazed by Jesus in my son today. And it felt so good. I hope there are so many more of these days. I expect there will be.


-
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I love this. So much to be more than "baseline proud" of. Well done, both of you.

    ReplyDelete