Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Summer where are you?"

It is June 3rd and it is cold and rainy in the northwest. I for one really enjoy gray weather. I like the way trees and flowers contrast with a gray background and seem even more alive. I am not a huge fan of the technicolor vibe a bright sunny sky gives everything (too surreal). I know I am completely on my own in this thinking but the rain and grayness really do suit me. It does not however suit Owen who has asked me repeatedly when summer will get here and when "spring rains" will end. He loves the sun and he loves to be outside. He loves to be naked with the heat beating down on his body as he jumps through the sprinkler. SO I am ready for the sun -for him, not me- to make its debut in this part of the world. Anytime now summer we are ready.
While we wait...

My boys keep me in fresh hand picked bouquets of flowers. This vase is worth so much more than the 25cents I paid for it. It is tiny and the perfect shape to hold the offerings of a sweet little 3 year old boy.



We watch our vines produce fruit!



And we make potato leek soup

Original recipe by Dana Gay
6-7 smalish-medium Yukon golds
5 leeks
2 large shallots
1 small sweet onion
1 package yummy bacon(uncured apple wood smoked or maple) regular or turkey
1-1.5 boxes chicken broth or approx 4-6cups home made broth. (give or take depending on how thick you want it...)
Half cup white wine
Salt pepper to taste
Bunch of fresh chives
Cook bacon set aside
Saute onions leeks and shallots in butter and a small amount of bacon drippings about 5-10 minutes.
Add wine stir let simmer 5 minutes
Add chopped and pealed potatoes and chicken broth into pot and let simmer until potatoes are tender.
Serve this way or puree in food processor or with immersion blender.
Top with bacon and fresh chives

2 comments:

  1. thank you for this recipe!!! i have been searching for a good one...it's one of my favorites:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a good solid basic that can be built upon... MG likes Tabasco in his... and I like to add other herbs sometimes... so anything works.

    ReplyDelete