Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Living welll on a dime??

I have recently come to the conclusion(when I say that I came to the conclusion this means M.G has instructed me and I reluctantly agreed) that we need to tighten up our belts and live more frugally .
I absolutely HATE money management I have always felt like life is too short to worry too much about money and people should just live life to the fullest and not worry about how much money is left at the end of the month. M.G on the other hand is a saver and likes to have money saved of all things. That being said...

I have looked at a couple money management strategies. And have decided on the ever so popular "cash envelopes" method. It is as simple as it sounds. At the end of this month M.G and I will sit down and decide (after bills) what it is that we spend money on and make envelopes for each thing. So... gas for the car, groceries, health and beauty, coffee, Owen, and probably date nights. There may also be one for each of us to use on whatever we like through out the month (fingers crossed).

I will also be trying to make a bi-weekly meal plan with the theory that going to the store 2 times per month will make impulse spending happen less often. Right now I just fly by the seat of my pants with meals. Cooking what ever sounds good and skipping off to the store whenever we need/want something. This behavior must be curbed as it is contributing to my spending more on things we don't need. I really need to be more intentional about what I am buying and what I am fixing for my family.
I love to cook and I stay at home with Owen so I have the time I just feel a huge lack of inspiration for cooking frugally. Where is that old school P.B.S program "the frugal gourmet" when you need it eh?

I am curious to know what everyone else is doing for grocery budgeting? does anyone have a really great system(that is easy)? What do you all spend on 2 weeks worth of groceries? What kind of meals are you all making for your families? How do you keep your costs low (especially those of you with food allergies)? I could really use some good suggestions.
Just a cute picture of Owen I thought I would tack on.

No comments:

Post a Comment